Cut off from all outside communication, surrounded by the frigid tundra and wrapped in a thick blanket of paranoia and suspicion, the eight-player multiplayer game is stranded in the frigid wilderness where they must work together to escape the approaching blizzard and deadly intentions the teammates.
The survivors must battle the frigid elements and the traitors in their midst who will deceive, sabotage, and even assassinate to thwart their teammates’ attempts to escape. For those players who encounter wild animals or murderous teammates on their travels, there are a variety of weapons to gain the upper hand and desperately cling to any chance of survival.
Communication and teamwork are vital to the ultimate survivor escape destination. You will discover secret traitors within the group who will become stronger and stronger as the game progresses.
More than 2.5 million Survivors across all platforms braved the cold in Project Winter, and to celebrate developer Other Ocean (whose other work includes MediEvil 2019, Minecraft 3DS, and Rick & Morty: Virtual Rick-ality), he has released a free content update today in new Traitor craftables along with a permanent price reduction to $9.99.
Traitors can plan even more insidious betrayals with four new items now available for crafting. The disguise kit allows a traitor’s appearance to be changed once to look exactly like another character, dead or alive. However, there is no way to change voices in-game, so be careful when saying anything.
Take advantage of the bitterly cold tundra by creating Ice Bombs. Similar to smoke bombs, these deterrent explosives not only create a plume of smoke that obscures visibility, but also quickly reduce the heat of survivors.
Turn the white sleet under a person’s feet into a silent cloud thanks to disposable snowshoes. Temporarily eliminate footprints or the loud crunch of snow steps with increased movement speed.
Use the Sound Emitter to lure the survivors away from the rest of the group. This sinister trap emits audio clips over a short period of time and a very long distance before eventually self-destructing.
This free update also includes UI changes, removal of the ability to see characters who voted in the Exile Cabin, an increase in the maximum number of roles in matches, and other quality of life improvements.
“If you had told us that our passion project for social cheating would reach over 2.5 million total players, we would never have believed you,” said Ryan Hale, product director of Other Ocean. “We are so grateful to everyone who gave Project Winter a chance. We have even more updates planned for this year to give our dedicated community a powder fresh experience, including possible teasers for our next project. Stay warm and stay tuned!”
- escape to survive – As a survivor amidst a group of strangers, you must gather resources, battle the elements, and complete a series of tasks to call in one of several rescue vehicles.
- Hidden Roles – Hidden traitors lurk among the survivors. The traitors know each other, but not the survivors. Your goal is to prevent the survivors from escaping without being identified and killed.
- cooperation – Survivors can only escape if they work together. Players who venture out alone will have difficulty surviving the elements, may fall prey to hostile wildlife, or become easy targets for the traitors.
- communication – There are multiple ways to communicate with other players including proximity-based voice chat, private voice chat radio channels, text chat, and emotes – Communication is vital if the survivors have any hope of completing their tasks and each other to defend against the traitors.
- Betrayal & Deception – The traitors are outnumbered and weak at the beginning of the game, they can infiltrate the survivors and earn their trust while building their strength. Survivors can never be 100% sure who to trust. The traitors can take advantage of this by spreading lies and turning the survivors against each other.
project winter is available for Nintendo Switch, PS4, PS5, PC (Steam, Humble Bundle and Greenman Gaming).
More articles too project winter