Women’s tennis falls after Dayton, 4-0
PITTSBURGH, Pa. – The Saint Joseph women’s tennis team lost 4-0 to Dayton in a matchup on neutral ground at the Alpha Tennis and Fitness Club on Sunday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Dayton took an early lead with the double; Ana Ocasio And Kirsten Wijnsema were 5-5 in the second flight when play was suspended.
• The Flyers finished with three singles wins. Ireland Amato had won the first set of their matchup in the sixth flight at game completion while Fabiana Tort Umpierre led in the second set of their tilt in the third flight.
“Dayton started strong in doubles and came out on top against a Hawk side that didn’t have the legs of the night before,” said the head coach Ian Crookenden called. “We are ready to prepare for the outdoor season.”
The Hawks will return to action on Monday, April 3 with a match against Bryant at the SJU Tennis Complex.
Dayton 4, Saint Joseph’s 0
1. Neena Katauskas / Natalie Osiecki (UD) def. Anna Kirk / Stow Weiss (SJU), 6-3
2. Ana Ocasio / Kirsten Wijnsema (SJU) vs. Laura Greb/Elizabeth Hamilton (UD), 5-5
3.Jordan Mitchell/Erica Wojcikiewicz (UD)def. Ireland Amato / Sophia Amato (SJU), 6-2
Ranking: 3, 1
1. Osiecki (UD) defeated. Weiss (SJU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Katauskas (UD) defeated. Charlotte Kordonowy (SJU), 6-3, 7-6 (4)
3. Hamilton (UD) led Fabiana Tort Umpierre (SJU), 6-3, 3-5
4. Greb (UD) def. S Amato (SJU), 6-3, 6-0
5. Wojcikiewicz (UD) led Emily Elliott (SJU), 7-6(5), 4-1
6. I. Amato (SJU) led Mitchell (UD), 6-3, 3-5
Placement order: 4, 1, 2
Singles: Dayton 65, Saint Joseph’s 41
Doubles: Dayton 17, Saint Joseph’s 10
Overall: Dayton 82, Saint Joseph’s 51