The teams: Tarleton Texans (7-11, 1-6 WAC) at Utah Tech Trailblazers (12-6, 4-3 WAC)
Where from: St George, Utah
Arena: Burns Arena
Day and time: Thursday at 8pm CT
Streaming platform: ESPN+
Radio: Tarleton Sports Network (Jimmy Christopher)
ABOUT THE MATCHUP
- This is the second gathering ever, the first being held last year. Utah Tech won at Tarleton 57-49.
- Utah Tech just played its first home game of the year against Southern Utah. The loss sparked a three-game winning streak. At 6-1, they are one of four WAC teams with just one home loss.
- The Trailblazers have one of the best offenses in the WAC; Second in scoring (76.4 PPG), second in shooting (.451), third in three-point shooting (.322), and fourth in free throw shooting (.725).
- UT has the WAC’s top two scorers; Macie Warren (18.9 PPG) and Breaunna Gillen (18.7 PPG).
- Thursday marks Misty Wilson’s 250th career game as head coach at Tarleton. As an HC, she has a win rate of 0.582 (145-104). Thursday is her 698th game overall at Tarleton (103 as a player, 345 as an assistant, 250 as a head coach). She has been involved in 87 percent of Tarleton’s games since the school became an NCAA institution in 1994.
- Tarleton has had his best shooting performance in two months, scoring 22 of 46 (.478) from the field, including 5 of 12 (.417) from distance. However, a season-high 30 turnovers crippled the Texans, resulting in 31 points for the Bearkats.
- Tarleton have lost four games in a row, their longest streak since the start of the D1 era has stalled with six straight defeats in 2020-21. Tarleton has lost eight of their last nine overall.
- Tarleton had a different starting group in four straight games. The two constants are Teresa DaSilva (18 starts in their 18 games) and Mayra Caicedo (17 starts in their 17 games).
- Three of Tarleton’s next four opponents are Utah programs; UT, Southern Utah, Utah Valley.
- Tarleton have had limited opponents in three-point shooting all year, particularly in the last four games. The Texans have given up just 12 three-pointers overall as teams shot 25.0 percent. On the season, Tarleton is fourth in WAC in opponent 3PT% at .283.
- First halves have anticipated results; Tarleton is 6-1 when leading at half, 1-10 when behind.
WHO IS HOT
- Elise Turrubiates – Turrubiates is enjoying a career-long double-digit winning streak in three games, averaging 16.0 points on 17-of-31 (.548) shots and 6.3 rebounds. In the last game she earned her first start of the year. She scored a career-high 25 points against UTA on January 14.
- Mayra Caicedo – Caicedo has a double-digit scoring streak in four games a season, averaging 12.3 points, 4.3 assists and 2.3 steals. She needs one more point to hit 500 for her college career and is 19 assists away from a career 400.
- Victoria Ivanova – Ivanova has compiled two of her best rebound games of the season with an 8.0 average in the last two games. She has accumulated 17 points in the last two competitions after scoring 11 points in the previous six games. She played 27 minutes in the last game, her longest since December 6.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
6: Tarleton allowed the sixth LOWEST POINTS PER GAME IN THE WAC at 66.6 PPG. Utah Tech is on the bottom row, 10th at 71.0 PPG. However, the Trailblazers play faster, forcing the fourth-lowest shooting percentage (.381) and second-lowest 3PT% (.269).
4: According to WAC WBB RESUME LAKE SYSTEM, Utah Tech is one of the tougher opponents Tarleton will face and sits in fourth place ahead of Wednesday’s only WAC game between SUU and GCU. Tarleton is 11th in the system ahead of Utah Valley and Seattle U.
40: The Texans lost twice this year SHOOT 40+ PERCENT. Tarleton is now 7-2 this year if he hits 40+ percent from the field. For the past two seasons, the Texans have reached that mark, 19-4.
10: Thursday’s game will be shown THREE OF THE TOP 10 GOALS IN THE WACwith tarletons Teresa DaSilva Eighth with 14.6 points per game. Utah Tech’s Macie Warren and Breaunna Gillen both lead with 18.9 PPG and 18.7 PPG, respectively.
NEXT FOR TARLETON
Tarleton will have another tough matchup in Utah, taking on the lone remaining WAC team Southern Utah. The Thunderbirds are 6-0 in conference play and 7-1 overall at home. The Texans will face them at 3 p.m. CT on Saturday in Cedar City.