Late last year, Netflix announced that it had picked up a new “innovative” heist series based on a true story. Tati Gabrielle, Jai Courtney, Giancarlo Esposito and Rufus Sewell are involved in the show which has wrapped up filming. Here’s a rundown of everything we know about Netflix’s Jigsaw series.
Note: This article is a live preview from Jigsaw which we first published on September 16th, 2022 where we broke the news alongside Hollywood trades. We’ve updated the piece to add additional information over time.
Here’s a quick rundown of what to expect from the series:
“Spreading 24 years, the series centers on the greatest heist ever attempted and the revenge, intrigue, loyalties and betrayal that surround it. It’s loosely inspired by the true story of when $70 billion worth of bonds disappeared in downtown Manhattan during Hurricane Sandy.”
The NYPost has an excellent introduction to the series addressing the issue of bearer bonds being lost in Hurricane Sandy, which took place between October 22nd and November 2nd, 2012.
Who is behind Jigsaw on Netflix?
Eric Garcia (known for stick figure, repo men, Anonymous Rex) serves as the creator, showrunner and executive producer of the project.
The series is produced by automatic entertainment (Fred Berger, Brian Kavanaugh-Jones and Justin Levy) and Scott Free Productions (Ridley Scott, David W. Zucker and Jordan Sheehan).
Directors involved with the show include:
- Jose Padilha Who will direct the pilot episode and the second episode? He is best known as a creator, director and executive producer at Netflix the mechanism.
- Everardo gout (to be confirmed) will direct two episodes of the series. After Jigsaw, Gout goes straight to Netflix American Jesus Millarworld customization.
- Mairzee Almas (to be confirmed) will also direct two episodes of the show. Her credits include Netflix’s The Sandman (she will direct Episode 6) and worked on Netflix’s shadow and bone and lock & key.
Who is in the cast of the Netflix series Jigsaw?
- Giancarlo Esposito (breaking Bad and The young) will play Leo Pap, who is described as “whimsick, intense and ambitious, with an engineer’s mind and a meticulous eye for detail”. He’ll be playing a thief who’s been in the game for a long time and while he had a chance to get out, he didn’t take the opportunity at a cost to him.
- Paz Vega (sex and lucia, Spanish) is a well-known Spanish actress who will play Ava Mercer. She plays a lawyer who is a killer in the courtroom but also knows how to act outside.
- Rufus Sewell (dark city, will also appear on Netflix The diplomat) as Roger Salas, a former thief reinvented as a world-class security expert. Also described as a salesman with an uncanny ability to manipulate people to his ends.
- Taty Gabrielle (The 100th) as Hannah Kim, a chameleon who oscillates between the worlds of high-stakes finance and low-level crime.
- Peter Mark Kendall (The American, Chicago Med) as Stan Loomis, a petty smuggler with a deep passion for life’s Epicurean pleasures
- Rosaline Elbay (ramy) as Judy Goodwin, the crew’s demolitions specialist
- Jai Courtney (Terminator Genisys, different) as Bob Goodwin, a chest-blowing alpha male with a knack for picking safes and pushing people’s buttons.
- Niousha Noor (#Persianize) as Nazan Abassi, the FBI agent “who is the raging fire that threatens to burn down our gang of thieves.”
Beyond this original cast list, we also now know that the following also joined the cast:
- Hemky Madera (Spider-Man: Homecoming) as Carlos
- Stacey Oristano (Bunheads) as Barbara Loomis
- Whitsun wash (I start now) as Ted Gough
- Max Casella (jackie) as tacos
- Robin Lee (trailer hitch) as a lily
- James August Lee (preacher) as Cade
Where is Jigsaw produced at Netflix?
puzzle films primarily in Brooklyn at Netflix’s new state-of-the-art New York studio called Bushwick Studio. It’s a brand new location for Netflix that opened its doors in the summer of 2021 and hence puzzle is one of the first major series to be filmed there. The studio is part of Netflix’s $100 million pledge to the city.
According to production listings from What’s on Netflix, filming for the show began on September 1, 2022 and wrapped on March 16, 2022.
In early 2022, we received news snippets from both eyewitnesses and local news reports that the show was filmed in and around Brooklyn.
Huntington Now reported in January 2022 that the series was taking over The Dix Hills Diner and neighboring Gold Coast Jewelry & Pawn on the East Jericho Turnpike
As previously mentioned, a number of eyewitnesses witnessed the filming of the show and shared the news on social media. They caught the series filming at 28 Liberty Street (around One Chase Manhattan Plaza), Fulton and Nostrand in Brooklyn. Midtown East New York,
They’re filming Jigsaw on Fulton and Nostrand this morning lol
— Remy Ma (@Adi_Frenchy) March 4, 2022
They filmed a rain scene at my job. A show for Netflix next year called Jigsaw. pic.twitter.com/613zXSR3Ti
— 🇵🇷 Vember Judgment 🍮 (@VemberJudgement) October 16, 2021
They film the puzzle film pic.twitter.com/EbNWkyU49A
— 150 degrees 🇭🇳 (@YourWifesHouse) 09/14/2021
👀 we have to see pic.twitter.com/6BofwSzt2x
— CIN🦇 (@cinnzabunnz) December 10, 2021
A number of Facebook users watched the show film in and around Corey Beach in New York City.
For more crime shows in development at Netflix, check out our preview for those coming here.
Are you looking forward to checking out? puzzle on netflix? Let us know in the comments below.