ACC network | WatchESPN | Live Stats | tickets
NC State Game Notes | Florida State game notes
RALEIGH – The NC State men’s basketball team (17-5, 7-4 ACC) starts Wednesday night with a two-game homestand when they host Florida State (7-15, 5-6 ACC) at PNC Arena.
Tipoff is scheduled for 9pm and the game will be broadcast on the ACC Network. NC State fans can also hear Gary Hahn and Tony Haynes dub the action on the Wolfpack Sports Network.
– NC State fought back from a 10-point deficit in the second half to beat Wake Forest 79-77 on Saturday afternoon in Winston-Salem. It was the pack’s sixth win in their last seven games.
– Graduate forward DJ Burns posted a career-high 31 points in the win. The Rock Hill, SC native scored 23 of his 31 points in the second half. He finished the game by making nine of his last 10 field goal attempts and at one point had 12 straight points for NC State. He finally gave NC State the lead when he broke a 72-72 tie by taking both ends of a one-and-one trip to the foul line.
– Sophomore guard Terquavion Smith was limited to a season-low 21 minutes against Wake Forest due to foul problems but still scored 16 points on 6-of-12 shooting. Smith has scored double-digit goals in every game this season and continues to lead the ACC with an average of 18.5 points per game. On Monday night, he was named to the Wooden Award Late Season Top 20 watchlist and was also named to the Oscar Robertson Trophy Midseason watchlist. He was named a Midseason Third-Team All-American by The Sporting News.
– Diploma Guard Jarkel carpenter scored 17 points for NC State on Saturday. In January, Joiner averaged 19.3 points per game across the pack’s seven games to climb from outside the top-10 to fifth place in the ACC, averaging 16.8 points per game.
– NC State ended January with a 6-1 (.857) record. It’s the best January win ratio for NC State since the 1988-89 NC State team won 8-1 (.889) in January 1989.
– The pack’s 17-5 record is NC State’s best 22-game record since the team went 18-4 in 2005-06. A win on Wednesday would give the pack their best 23-game tally since the team went 19-4 in 2005/06.
– NC State’s 7-4 ACC record is the program’s best ACC record in 11 games since the team had a 7-4 conference record in 2011-12. A Wednesday win would give the Pack their best ACC record in 12 games (8-4) since the team had an 8-4 ACC record in 2005-06.
– NC State has lost five straight games to Florida State. It is the pack’s longest losing streak against an ACC team. Most recently, The Pack defeated the Seminoles 92-72 as head coach on February 25, 2018 Kevin Keatts‘ first season.
– Diploma Guard Jarkel carpenter has made 28 of his last 29 free throws. For the season, Joiner shoots 82.6 percent from the foul line and has improved that mark to 88.2 percent (45 of 51) in ACC games. The Oxford native, Miss., has been even better in clutch moments this season. In the last four minutes of rule or overtime, Joiner shoots 90.9% (40 of 44) from the foul line.
– Last season in two games against Florida State, sophomore guard Terquavion Smith scored 53 points (26.5 points per game) on 19 of 38 shots (50%). He made 12 threes in the two games and shot 52.2 percent from long range against the Seminoles.
– Terquavion Smith goes into play on Wednesday with 159 career three-pointers in 54 career games. His next three puts him 14th in program history. Former teammate Jericole Hellems (2018-22;160) at number 14, C.C. Harrison at number 13 (1995-98;161) and Anthony Grundy at number 12 (1999-02;164).
– Graduate forward DJ Burns has scored in double figures in seven straight games and 10 of the last 12 in Wednesday’s competition. In the first 10 games of the season, he hit double digits just four times. In the first 10 games of the season, Burns averaged 7.4 points, 3.8 rebounds, 0.9 assists and 0.4 blocks while playing 16.6 minutes per game. After Dusan Mahorcic was injured in the Coppin State game on Dec. 6, Burns has seen his role grow. In the last 12 games since Mahorcic was eliminated, Burns averaged 14.8 points, 5.7 rebounds (including 2.3 offensive rebounds), 2.0 assists and 1.3 blocks while averaging 25.9 minutes per game played. Burns has shot 56.0 percent from the field (79 of 141) in his last 12 games.
– NC State has committed just 15 turnovers combined in their last three games, including a school record (and the fewest by any NCAA DI team this season) two against Notre Dame on Jan. 24. The Pack has only committed one turnover in four of their last six halves of basketball. The Pack leads the ACC in conference gaming with the lowest revenue per game, averaging just 7.9 per game. The Pack has had single-digit earnings in nine of their last 12 games.
– NC State leads the ACC in turnover margin (+4.1), steals (8.3 per game) and turnover enforcement (13.9 per game). The pack is 10-0 this season if they force their opponent to 15 or more turnovers, and 11-0 if they have at least 18 points fewer than their opponent’s turnovers.
– The Pack blocked a season-high 11 shots in Saturday’s win over Wake Forest. It’s the most blocks for NC State against an ACC opponent since the pack had 11 against Miami on Feb. 4, 2017. NC State leads in conference games an average of over five blocks per game to lead the ACC.
– NC State is 15-1 this season when it outrebounds or ties its opponent on rebounding.
– The Pack is 17-2 this season if it shoots 40 percent or more from the field.
NC State – Florida State Series
– Wednesday sees the 62nd all-time meeting between the two programs.
– NC State leads the all-time series 31-30, but Florida State has won the last five games of the series.
– Kevin Keatts has a 1-5 record against the Seminoles, including a 1-2 record against FSU at PNC Arena.
– Last season: Florida State won the season series with NC State, defeating the Pack 83-81 on January 1 at PNC Arena and winning 89-76 on March 5 in Tallahassee.