Last summer, when the COVID-19 delta rise made people too scared to enter a movie theater, the Miami Jewish Film Festival (MJFF) partnered with the City of Miami Beach to introduce the Summer Movies Under the Stars film series . The program showcased past and present summer blockbusters at various outdoor venues throughout Miami Beach.
The event proved so successful that MJFF has decided to repeat it this summer.
“The films in this year’s Summer Movies Under the Stars celebrate all the ways our magical city, like the cinema itself, offers endless escape and wander opportunities to visitors, newcomers and lifelong residents alike,” says Igor Shteyrenberg , Managing Director of MJFF. “With lovingly remembered classics and special surprises, the three-month outdoor series of screenings focuses on insightful stories, offering a glimpse of unknown places and ways of life that entertain, enlighten, excite and celebrate film’s ability to enlighten the world around us .”
The series takes place every Thursday at 8:30 p.m. during the summer months. All performances are free and open to the public and are held at four different public parks in Miami Beach: Lummus Park, Altos del Mar Park, Muss Park and Pride Park. Attendees are encouraged to “bring a blanket, beach chairs, drinks, snacks and even pets to the cinema to feel at home”.
Summer Movies Under the Stars is also booked top gun movies. The first showing on July 7 features the 1986 original Tom Cruise fighter jet/shirtless volleyball classic top gunwith the last evening on September 15 with Top Gun: Maverick which has dominated the box office since its release in mid-May.
Other notable screenings include a trio of anniversary films. Saturday 23rd July will see a very rare public screening of the 1977 original war of stars Movie. This 45th anniversary screening was a coup for Shteyrenberg; The film’s copyright holders very rarely allow it to be shown. The 25th anniversary edition of the Bruce Willis sci-fi film will be shown on August 18th The fifth Elementduring the 35th anniversary edition of Dirty dancing Screens on August 25th
Modern movie buffs get a double dose of Marvel with the box office record Spider-Man: No Way Home on July 14 and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (which the author thinks is the best comic book movie to hit the big screen in a long, long time) on September 8th.
Check out the full schedule for the Summer Movies Under the Stars series below:
- July 7 at 8:30 p.m. at Lummus Park: top gun
- July 14 at 8:30 p.m. at Lummus Park: Spider-Man: No Way Home
- July 23 at 8:30 p.m. at Lummus Park: Star Wars: A New Hope
- August 4 at 8:30 p.m. at Muss Park: The Mitchells against the machines
- August 11 at 8:30 p.m. at Altos del Mar Park: Who tricked Roger Rabbit?
- August 18 at 8:30 p.m. at Lummus Park: The fifth Element
- August 25 at 8:30 p.m. at Lummus Park: Dirty dancing
- September 1 at 8:30 p.m. in Pride Park: Honey, I shrunk the kids
- September 8 at 8:30 p.m. in Pride Park: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
- September 15 at 8:30 p.m. in Pride Park: Top Gun: Maverick