Is Free Guy on Netflix?
Free guy, the video game-inspired film starring Ryan Reynolds, stunned critics and moviegoers alike last summer with its heartfelt tone, candor and genuine humor. It was showing exclusively in theaters at the time of its release, so many fans have been waiting for it to show up on Netflix or another streaming service.
So where can you stream? Free guy?
Is Free Guy on Netflix?
The short answer is no. The longer and slightly more complicated answer requires a quick reminder of some Hollywood business dealings.
In 2019, Disney acquired Fox, specifically the film studios 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight. So while Free guy is technically a film by 20th Century Studios (the rebranded name) and is wholly owned by Disney. And since Disney has its own streaming service – the ever-growing, popular Disney Plus – that means it does Free guy naturally skipped Netflix (at least initially) and is instead heading towards a streaming game on Disney Plus.
So that’s good news for Disney Plus subscribers – you can stream Free Guy at no extra cost. Not so good news for Netflix subscribers (especially since the streamer is raising its prices), but Netflix has 2021 Red notice (which also stars Gal Gadot and Dwayne Johnson) and the 2022 hit The Adam Projectso you can still fix your Ryan Reynolds film.
Can I Stream Free Guy Anywhere?
Free guy is now streaming exclusively on Disney Plus, at least initially. Eventually the film might find its way to Hulu (which Disney also owns) or later maybe another streaming service not owned by Mouse House (depends on complicated licensing agreements, which we won’t try to explain here) . But the easiest way to stream for the foreseeable future Free guy is to log into Disney Plus and watch to your heart’s content!
Disney Plus is available in most countries, so for once there shouldn’t be any barriers to seeing what you want to see.
However, Disney Plus isn’t the only way to watch Free guy on digital. Currently, the film can be bought or rented on digital platforms such as YouTube, Google Play, Apple TV (via iTunes) or Prime Video.
Will Free Guy get a physical release?
Consumers can also receive Free guy now on 4K, Blu-ray or DVD. In addition to the full film, the Free Guy DVD includes a variety of bonus content. Here is a full overview of the Free Guy DVD content:
- Deleted and extended scenes including Guy and Buddy going to the beach, Hot Nuts sucking cock and NPC Rally (extended)
- gag reel
- Dude vs Guy – Ryan Reynolds director Shawn Levy and the creative stunt teams reveal how they brought the dramatic fight sequence between Dude and Guy to life
- The Making of Molotovgirl – Breaking down the making of Jodie Comer’s character, from conceptualization to execution
- It’s Taika’s World – A showcase of Taika Waititi’s performance as video game creator Antwan
- Welcome to Free City – Find out how the film crew transformed a real city into the film’s virtual playground.