Aiguillette, a French word meaning “little needle,” is a decorative cord that is worn on the shoulder of military and civilian uniforms. It is a symbol of honor, rank, and prestige. Wearing an aiguillette can be a bit intimidating at first, but with a little practice and patience, anyone can wear it with confidence. In this article, we will guide you on how to wear an aiguillette correctly and share some tips to make it easier.
Types of Aiguillettes
There are different types of aiguillettes, each with a specific meaning and purpose. Here are some of the most common types of aiguillettes:
This type of aiguillette is worn by military personnel to indicate their rank and position. It is usually made of gold or silver bullion and is worn on the shoulder.
This type of aiguillette is worn by civilians, such as police officers, diplomats, and officials. It is usually made of braided cord and worn on the shoulder.
Honor Guard Aiguillette
This type of aiguillette is worn by honor guards during ceremonies and special events. It is usually made of gold or silver bullion and worn on the shoulder.
How to Wear an Aiguillette
Wearing an aiguillette may seem complicated, but it’s actually quite simple. Here are the steps to follow:
Step 1: Position the Aiguillette
Position the aiguillette on your shoulder, making sure that the cord is straight and not twisted.
Step 2: Secure the Aiguillette
Secure the aiguillette by attaching the metal clip or button to your uniform. Make sure that it is securely fastened to prevent it from falling off.
Step 3: Adjust the Length
Adjust the length of the aiguillette to ensure that it hangs straight and is not too long or too short. It should hang just above your elbow.
Step 4: Check the Appearance
Check the appearance of the aiguillette to make sure that it is straight and not twisted. It should also be neat and tidy.
Tips for Wearing an Aiguillette
Here are some tips to help you wear an aiguillette with confidence:
Tip 1: Practice
Practice wearing the aiguillette before the event to get comfortable with it. This will help you avoid any mishaps during the event.
Tip 2: Keep it Neat
Make sure that the aiguillette is neat and tidy, with no loose threads or tangles. This will make you look more professional and put-together.
Tip 3: Wear it with Confidence
Wear the aiguillette with confidence and pride. Remember that it is a symbol of honor and prestige, and wearing it with confidence will make you look and feel more confident.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about wearing an aiguillette:
- Q: Do I need to wear an aiguillette if I am not in the military?
- A: No, wearing an aiguillette is not necessary if you are not in the military. However, some civilian uniforms may require the wearing of an aiguillette.
- Q: How do I know which aiguillette to wear?
- A: The type of aiguillette you wear depends on your rank or position. Check with your uniform regulations to determine which type of aiguillette is appropriate for your rank or position.
- Q: Can I wear an aiguillette on any shoulder?
- A: No, the aiguillette should be worn on the shoulder that corresponds to your rank or position. Check with your uniform regulations to determine which shoulder is appropriate.
- Q: How do I clean my aiguillette?
- A: The best way to clean an aiguillette is to gently brush it with a soft-bristled brush or a lint roller. Do not wash it in a washing machine or dry clean it.
Wearing an aiguillette may seem intimidating, but with a little practice and patience, anyone can wear it with confidence. Follow the steps we have outlined in this article, and remember to wear it with pride and confidence.