If you own both iOS and Windows devices, it definitely comes in handy to know how to open HEIC files on Windows.
HEIC is the file format Apple uses for photos taken on iPhones and iPads, rather than the regular JPG format used by most other devices. Therefore, by default, Windows is unable to recognize HEIC files. However, it is easy to download and install a plugin from the Microsoft Store so that you can open HEIC files on your PC.
Once you have the HEIC plugin for Windows installed, opening iPhone or iPad images on your PC is as easy as opening regular photos. What’s more, you can even convert HEIC images to JPEG using Microsoft Paint.
So if you want to know how to open a HEIC file on Windows, follow our guide to find out.
note: The screenshots in this guide were taken on Windows 11, although the steps are the same for Windows 10.
In addition to our range of helpful tutorials, we also have an extensive catalog of expertly designed buying guides to help you make the right purchase. If you’re looking to upgrade your computer, check out our guides to the best computers and laptops first.
How to open HEIC files on Windows
- Right-click the file and open it in Photos
- Click Yes when prompted to install the HEIC extension
- Download the HEIC extension from the Microsoft Store
- Install the HEIC extension
- Reopen the file in Photos
Read on for detailed instructions for each step.
1. Locate the HEIC file you want to open in file explorer and Right-click on it. Next, Click Open Withthen choose photos.
Note: If you need help removing your pictures from your phone, be sure to read our guide on how to transfer photos from iPhone to computer.
2. After opening the file in Photos, you should see a popup saying “The HEIF image extension is required to view this file”.
Click download and install it now to go to the Microsoft Store and get the plugin. If you see a message asking “Did you want to switch applications?” click Yes.
3. You should be in the now Microsoft store on the HEIF image extensions app page (this is an official Microsoft extension). Click Retrieve to download and install the plugin. Once it’s installed, you can Close the Microsoft Store app.
4. Go back to where your HEIC image is located in File Explorer, then Double click on it. Your picture should now open in the Photos app as usual.
How to convert HEIC files to JPG on Windows
Converting HEIC files to JPG on Windows is easy once you have the HEIF image extension installed. In fact, you can do this with just a few clicks using the trusty old Ross Microsoft Paint, which means no third-party apps to install. However, if you want to use a third-party app, we have a separate guide on how to convert HEIC to JPEG using a Microsoft Store application. However, it’s easy enough to do in Paint.
1. Locate the HEIC file you want to convert in File Explorer and Right-click on it. Next, Click Open Withthen chose Paint. Assuming you already have the HEIF plugin installed from the previous part of the guide, your HEIC image will now open in Paint.
2. In color, Click Filethen Mouse over Save As. now Choose the format you want to convert the image tolike JPEG.
3. Simply in the Save As dialog box Choose the location where you want to save the photo, change the file name if you want then Click on “Save. And that’s it.
easy, hey? Now that you know how to open a HEIC file on Windows, be sure to check out more of our Windows guides, including changing the Windows 11 Start menu back to Windows 10, installing Android apps on Windows 11, and activating history the clipboard in Windows.