Cigarette lighters are one of the essential components in a car. Whether it’s lighting a cigarette or charging a device, a cigarette lighter is a handy tool to have. But, have you ever faced the issue of the lighter not staying on? Don’t worry; you’re not alone. In this article, we will discuss some tips and tricks to make your cigarette lighter stay on.
Why Does the Cigarette Lighter Turn off?
Before we dive into the solutions, it’s essential to understand why the cigarette lighter turns off. The primary reason is the built-in safety feature that prevents the lighter from overheating and causing a fire. The lighter has a heating element that heats up quickly, and if it stays on for an extended period, it can cause the lighter to malfunction or even catch fire.
How to Make Cigarette Lighter Stay On?
Now that we know why the cigarette lighter turns off let’s discuss some tips to make it stay on.
Tip #1: Clean the Lighter
One of the reasons your cigarette lighter may not be staying on is because of dirt and debris. Over time, the lighter’s contact points can accumulate dirt and grime, which can hinder the flow of electricity. Cleaning the lighter with a soft brush, alcohol, or a cleaning solution can help remove any debris and improve the electrical contact.
Tip #2: Check the Fuse
Another reason the cigarette lighter may not stay on is a blown fuse. A blown fuse can cause the lighter to stop working, and in some cases, it may not stay on. Check the car’s manual to locate the fuse box and check the cigarette lighter fuse. If the fuse is blown, replace it with a new one.
Tip #3: Use a Cigarette Lighter Adapter
If you’re having trouble with the cigarette lighter in your car, you can use a cigarette lighter adapter. The adapter plugs into the car’s cigarette lighter socket and provides a new socket to use. These adapters are handy and can be used to charge your devices or power other accessories.
Tip #4: Check the Wiring
If none of the above tips work, it’s time to check the wiring. The wiring may have come loose or disconnected, causing the lighter to stop working. Check the wiring behind the cigarette lighter and ensure that it’s connected correctly. If the wiring is damaged, you may need to replace it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about making the cigarette lighter stay on:
- Q: Why does the cigarette lighter turn off?
- A: The cigarette lighter turns off due to built-in safety features that prevent it from overheating and causing a fire.
- Q: How can I make the cigarette lighter stay on?
- A: You can make the cigarette lighter stay on by cleaning it, checking the fuse, using a cigarette lighter adapter, or checking the wiring.
- Q: What should I do if the cigarette lighter still doesn’t stay on?
- A: If the cigarette lighter still doesn’t stay on, you may need to take it to a professional mechanic for repair.
- Q: Can I use the cigarette lighter to charge my phone?
- A: Yes, you can use the cigarette lighter to charge your phone using a cigarette lighter adapter.
- Q: Is it safe to use the cigarette lighter?
- A: Yes, using the cigarette lighter is safe as long as you follow the manufacturer’s instructions and use it properly.
In conclusion, a cigarette lighter is a useful tool to have in your car. If it’s not staying on, there are several tips and tricks you can try to fix the issue. Cleaning the lighter, checking the fuse, using an adapter, or checking the wiring are all viable solutions. As always, make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and use the lighter properly to ensure your safety.