Skateboarding has become a popular sport in recent years, and many skateboarders dream of getting sponsored. A sponsorship can provide a skateboarder with the resources they need to take their skills to the next level. While getting a skate sponsorship can be challenging, it is not impossible. In this article, we will provide you with tips and tricks to help you get a skate sponsorship in 2023.
What is a Skate Sponsorship?
A skate sponsorship is an agreement between a skateboarder and a company or brand. The company provides the skateboarder with free products, such as skateboards, shoes, and clothing, in exchange for the skateboarder promoting their brand. Skate sponsorships are coveted because they allow skateboarders to pursue their passion without having to worry about the costs associated with it.
Tips for Getting a Skate Sponsorship
- 1. Improve Your Skills: To attract potential sponsors, you need to be a talented skateboarder. Spend time practicing and perfecting your tricks.
- 2. Create a Skater Profile: Create a profile that showcases your skills, personality, and style. Include your best videos and photos.
- 3. Attend Skateboarding Events: Attend skateboarding events and competitions to network with other skateboarders and companies.
- 4. Reach Out to Companies: Research companies that sponsor skateboarders and reach out to them with your skater profile and sponsorship proposal.
- 5. Be Professional: When reaching out to companies, be professional and polite. Show them that you are serious about your skateboarding career.
Mistakes to Avoid
- 1. Overestimating Your Skills: Be honest about your skills and don’t overestimate them. Companies will see through any false claims.
- 2. Being Impatient: Getting a skate sponsorship takes time and patience. Don’t give up if you don’t get a response right away.
- 3. Not Networking: Networking with other skateboarders and companies is crucial to getting a skate sponsorship.
- 4. Not Having a Plan: Have a plan in place for how you will promote the company’s brand if you get a sponsorship.
- 5. Not Following Through: If you do get a sponsorship, make sure you follow through with your end of the agreement.
What do companies look for in sponsored skateboarders?
Companies look for skateboarders who are talented, have a unique style, and can promote their brand effectively. They also look for skateboarders who are professional and easy to work with.
How do I create a skater profile?
To create a skater profile, include your best videos and photos showcasing your skills, personality, and style. You can also include your competition results and any media coverage you have received.
What should I include in my sponsorship proposal?
Your sponsorship proposal should include your skater profile, your goals, how you plan to promote the company’s brand, and what you can offer the company in return.
What should I do if I don’t get a response from a company?
Don’t give up if you don’t get a response right away. Follow up with the company and continue to improve your skills and network with other skateboarders and companies.
What are some common mistakes to avoid when trying to get a skate sponsorship?
Some common mistakes to avoid include overestimating your skills, being impatient, not networking, not having a plan, and not following through with your end of the agreement if you do get a sponsorship.
Getting a skate sponsorship can be challenging, but with the right skills, attitude, and approach, it is possible. By following the tips and tricks in this article and avoiding common mistakes, you can increase your chances of getting a skate sponsorship in 2023. Remember to be patient, professional, and persistent, and you’ll be on your way to achieving your dream of being a sponsored skateboarder.