We’re currently hiring a full-time editor to work with freelance tech writers, edit articles before publication, and write some of their own great articles for How-To Geek. Wanna throw your hat in the ring? Then read on to find out more!
Technology Editor and Author – full-time, remote
Are you an experienced writer and editor who enjoys working in a fast-paced, remote environment and leads a group of freelance writers to ensure we deliver the highest quality content? This could be the job for you!
(Note: This job is remote work from home.)
In short, How-To Geek is looking for a geek geek and a solid writer/editor. You should have experience using and writing about computer technology (Windows, PC hardware, macOS, Android, iPhone, Chrome, Microsoft Office, etc.) and be able to keep up with new technological developments. You should also enjoy editing our other writers and coaching them to help them become better writers.
what you would do
- Work with freelance writers to ensure articles are accurate, well-organized, consistent with what was actually assigned or asked, and answer any additional questions the topic raises. Essentially, making sure that the idea that was pitched was written and that it is a quality work.
- Supporting our editor-in-chief in supervising articles from the pitch/commission to brainstorming and the design phase. They help authors find the right angle in their ideas, flesh out outlines, edit the drafts of those articles, and guide authors through any required revisions.
- Occasionally write articles if the topic is appropriate.
- Demonstrable experience writing on various technologies
- Hands-on experience working with major operating systems (desktop and mobile) and applications, as well as a solid understanding of general technology
- Ability to dive into new technology topics and learn them quickly
- Ability to work directly with authors on the design of their articles
- Experience writing and editing technology articles
- Detail oriented and deadline oriented with a get things done attitude
- Strong attention to detail with an emphasis on accuracy and quality
- Ability to prioritize work to balance multiple projects and deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working with WordPress desirable
- Basic knowledge of SEO principles is an advantage
About the spot
- 401(k): employer agreement up to 4%; Eligible after 3 months of full-time employment.
- Health insurance: Health, dental and vision sharing insurance.
- Paid vacation: We offer the following paid holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday, Washington’s Birthday, Memorial Day, Juneteenth National Independence Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day.
- Non-payable PTO (holiday and sick leave): The company offers 120 non-redeemable PTO hours annually for combined paid vacation and sick leave. The employee may only carry more than 80 hours of non-redeemable PTO per calendar year.
- homework. You work from home and should have your own computer with reliable internet access.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States, reside in the United States, and be available during standard East Coast business hours (EST).
We offer a competitive salary based on your experience.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this job, visit our job posting on Indeed and click the big blue Apply Now button.