Elden Ring is one of the most popular games of the year. While everyone loves their story, the same cannot be said for multiplayer. Upon opening the game, many players are greeted with the error “Unable to summon co-operator, failed to join session”.
The error message keeps players from playing the game. So, if you are also encountering the same problem, you should try the solutions below.
What causes the “Failed to connect to session” error in Elden Ring?
The Elden Ring error when joining the session mainly occurs when another player summons you. However, the problem can also be caused by a problem on your Windows PC. Below are all the possible technical reasons that can trigger the problem.
- If the Elden Ring servers are down, you will most likely face the error at hand.
- The problem can be caused by an unstable or weak internet connection.
- Any ongoing problem with the DNS server can also lead to a problem in the discussion.
Below are all the working fixes that you can try to fix the problem for good.
1. Restart the game
Before delving into the technical fixes, make sure you’ve gone through the reboot process. As it turns out, the problem may be due to a bug in the game itself. In this case, restarting is the best workaround you can consider.
2. Check for ongoing server outages
Elden Ring is one of the newest games out there; As such, it is common for its servers to undergo maintenance every now and then. During the maintenance period, you will face various problems when opening the game.
So if you encounter the session error, check if there is an ongoing server problem with the game. You can check the server status by visiting the Official Twitter name of Elden Ring.
3. Switch to another connection
The Elden Ring error joining session can be caused by a weak or unstable internet connection. Multiplayer games like Elden Ring require strong connectivity to run smoothly. You can check your connection speed by visiting any of the internet speed check websites.
If you find that you are getting a comparatively slower speed, contact the ISP. Alternatively, you can switch to a different connection to resolve the issue.
4. Summoned by another player
One of the cases where the error can appear is when you try to summon a co-op player but they are immediately called by someone else. In this situation, you can use the Furlcalling Finger Remedy. It helps to see the summoning signs; useful for calling players from other worlds.
To get Furlcalling Finger Remedy you need to defeat many enemies in the game. You also get this product when the Host of Fingers drops it during the invasion. Alternatively, you can purchase it from the following location.
- Twin Maiden Husks In the hold round table.
- Merchant Kohl In the Church of Elle.
- patch In the Murkwater Cave.
Along with all of the above, you can craft Furlcalling Finger Remedy 2 erleaf flowers.
5. Check integrity of game files
If the game files are corrupted or missing, you can use the Check Game Files Integrity feature. It compares and replaces the files available on your PC with those on the Steam server. Here are the steps to do it.
- Open steam and choose the library option in the top bar.
- Right click on Elden Ring and select Characteristics from the context menu.
- Choose local files from the left pane.
- Click on Check the integrity of the game files.
Wait for the scanning process to finish. After that, restart Steam, open Elden Ring and look for the problem.
6. Flush the DNS cache
The DNS cache contains information about the IP addresses of websites. It helps in faster access to subsequent DNS queries. But if for some reason the DNS data gets corrupted, you will encounter the error in the question.
As a solution, you need to clear the DNS cache from the system. Here’s how.
- Open command prompt Use one of the many ways to open Command Prompt.
- Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
After running the command, close the CMD window and check if the problem persists.
7. Try Google DNS server
The problem can also occur if there is an ongoing issue with your current DNS server. You can switch to another server to fix the problem.
Although there are many public DNS servers, Google servers are the first choice for everyone. Below are the steps to connect to Google DNS server.
- start the settings menu use victory + me hot keys.
- Drive towards Network & Internet > WLAN > Hardware properties.
- Click on that To edit button next to the DNS server assignment.
- Click on the drop down icon below Edit DNS settingsand choose Manual from the context menu.
- Choose according to your DNS provider IPv4 or IPv6.
- If you choose IPv4, enter 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 in Preferred and Alternate DNS server or
- If you choose IPv6, enter 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844 in Preferred and Alternate DNS server or
- Click on “Save”.
That’s it. Now launch the game and check if the problem persists. If so, try the next solution on the list.
8. Update the game
As mentioned, Elden Ring is a new game out; it is updated regularly. To keep the game free of issues, including one under discussion, make sure you download the latest patch update.
9. Reset network settings
If you are still struggling with the problem then it is time to reset network settings. You can reset network settings on Windows 11 by following the steps below.
- Open Settings.
- click Network & Internet > Advanced network settings.
- Choose network reset.
- click reset now Next network reset.
- click Yes to confirm your choice.
Enjoy playing Elden Ring again
Since Elden Ring is a new name in the gaming industry, it will be talking about various issues and bugs, at least for some time. If you encounter the error “cooperator could not be invoked, session could not be joined”, try the above solutions.
But in the worst case, if nothing works, you will have to reinstall the game.