Canvas is a popular learning management system used by many educational institutions around the world. One of the features that makes it great is the ability to create and add rubrics to assignments. A rubric is a set of criteria that is used to evaluate a student’s work or performance. In this blog post, we will discuss how to add a rubric to an assignment in Canvas in the year 2023.
Step 1: Create an Assignment
The first step is to create an assignment in Canvas. To do this, log in to Canvas and navigate to the course where you want to create the assignment. Click on the “Assignments” tab, and then click on the “Add Assignment” button. Give your assignment a name and a due date.
Step 2: Select the Rubric Option
Once you have created your assignment, scroll down to the “Submission Type” section. Here, you will see an option for “Rubric.” Click on this option to enable the rubric feature for your assignment.
Step 3: Create a New Rubric
If you haven’t created a rubric yet, click on the “New Rubric” button. This will take you to the rubric creation page, where you can set up your rubric criteria. You can create a rubric from scratch or use a template.
Step 4: Add Criteria to Your Rubric
To add criteria to your rubric, click on the “Add Criteria” button. Give your criteria a name and a description. You can also choose a point value for each criterion.
Step 5: Add Levels to Your Criteria
After you have added your criteria, you can add levels to each criterion. Levels are used to describe the quality of work that meets each criterion. To add a level, click on the “Add Level” button. Give your level a name and a description. You can also assign a point value to each level.
Step 6: Save Your Rubric
Once you have set up your rubric criteria and levels, click on the “Save Rubric” button. Your rubric will now be saved and can be used for your assignment.
Step 7: Attach Your Rubric to Your Assignment
To attach your rubric to your assignment, scroll down to the “Rubric” section of the assignment page. Click on the “Find a Rubric” button and select the rubric you want to use. Click on the “Use this Rubric” button to attach it to your assignment.
Step 8: Complete Your Assignment
Now that you have added a rubric to your assignment, students will be able to see the criteria and levels they need to meet to receive a certain grade. Make sure to provide clear instructions and expectations for your assignment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions about adding a rubric to an assignment in Canvas:
- What is a rubric? A rubric is a set of criteria used to evaluate a student’s work or performance.
- Why should I use a rubric? Rubrics provide clear expectations for students and help ensure fair and consistent grading.
- How do I create a rubric in Canvas? To create a rubric in Canvas, go to the assignment page and enable the rubric option. Then, click on “New Rubric” and set up your criteria and levels.
- Can I edit my rubric after I have attached it to an assignment? Yes, you can edit your rubric at any time. However, any changes you make will only affect future assignments that use that rubric.
- How do students view the rubric? Students can view the rubric by clicking on the assignment in Canvas. The rubric will be displayed on the right side of the page.
Adding a rubric to an assignment in Canvas is a great way to provide clear expectations for students and ensure fair and consistent grading. By following these simple steps, you can easily set up a rubric for your assignment and provide your students with the tools they need to succeed.