Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex are reportedly working on a “juicier” documentary for Netflix about their life back home in Montecito, California.
The reality TV rumor to keep up with the Sussexes comes nearly two years after representatives for the former royals deleted the mere mention of their “participation in reality shows” when they signed their massive Netflix deal in 2020.
But according to Page Six, the rumors are true. Harry and Meghan are said to be working on a more personal “Home with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex” style documentary, which could be streamed on the platform before the end of the year.
Officials from Netflix and the Sussexes declined to comment on the project when reached by The Times on Thursday.
It’s not the first time that the British prince and former ‘Suits’ actor has denied her involvement in a project she later became involved with. ‘ but revealed in court last year that they did. (Meghan had to apologize for forgetting to provide “briefing notes” to a key staff member who was in touch with the book’s authors.)
Details on the Netflix docuseries “are in the air,” a producer told Page Six, and the timing is still being debated. Netflix is reportedly wanting the series to come out later this year, when Harry plans to release his much-anticipated (though reportedly non-controversial) memoir. However, the Sussex team reportedly prefers the series to air next year.
“I think it’s fair to say Netflix is getting its pound of meat,” a source – described as a “senior Hollywood insider” – told Page Six.
Harry and Meghan, who are known to have stepped down from senior royal duties in early 2020, are said to be allowing cameras behind the scenes at their home in Montecito and on trips, including one they took to New York in September.
They were also followed by cameras last month, but Harry is collaborating with the streaming giant for a separate documentary project. The pair were joined by a “Heart of Invictus” crew when they visited the Netherlands last month for the Invictus Games – the global event Harry created that sees wounded and injured servicemen and women compete in a variety of games .
The new documentary report comes as Netflix cuts costs after losing 200,000 subscribers and laying off hundreds of employees in the first quarter. It also comes as the company scrapped plans for Sussex-backed project Pearl, a feminist children’s series executive produced by former Meghan Markle through Archewell Productions.
En route to the Netherlands, Harry, sixth in line to the throne of Britain, was visiting his ailing grandmother Queen Elizabeth II. The couple and their two young children will return to London next month to celebrate the long reigning monarch’s platinum jubilee.
However, you won’t be meeting senior royals like Harry’s father, Prince Charles, and his older brother, Prince William, on the balcony of Buckingham Palace.