No. 1 Ohio State vs. No. RV St. Cloud State
Date: 27./28. January 2023
Time: 6:00 p.m. ET/3:00 p.m. ET
Venue: OSU Ice Rink
Clock: B1G+ ($)
Live Stats: Statbroadcast
Game Notes: State of Ohio | State of Minnesota
Rosters: State of Ohio | State of Minnesota
Columbus, Ohio – Ohio State’s No. 1 women’s hockey team hosts Minnesota State’s No. RV for two WCHA conference competitions this weekend, Jan. 27-28 in Columbus. Puck Drop is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. Friday and 3:00 p.m. Saturday from the OSU Ice Rink.
Both of this weekend’s games will be streamed on B1G+ (subscription required). Admission to Ohio women’s hockey games is free. The program will host a postgame skate after Saturday’s game. Fans are invited to bring their own skates or borrow a pair from the OSU rink for free.
Horse chestnuts in a nutshell
- Ohio State wrapped up the regular season series against St. Cloud State last weekend, defeating the Huskies in St. Cloud, Minnesota. Jenn Gardiner led the Buckeyes by four points over the weekend, scoring the win in the second game of the overtime gamewinner series.
- Gardiner continues to lead the team this season by 40 points. She has 14 goals and 26 assists. The Surrey, BC native is seventh in the country in points per game (1.54) and assists per game (1.00). She is only the sixth player nationally to have 40 points this year.
- Sophie Jaques added her 18th goal of last weekend’s series at St Cloud, which was high with the team. The defender ranks seventh nationally in goals per game (0.69).
- Emma Maltais is tied with Gardiner in the team lead with 26 assists. She joins Gardiner in the national top-10 in assists per game (1.08) and leads the conference in that category.
- Paetyn Levis’ decisive goal in the first game of the last series was her eighth goal of the year, good for eighth nationally.
- In Ohio State, the game was split between goaltenders Amanda Thiele and Raygan Kirk this season. Thiele owns an 11-1-1 record for the Buckeyes while Kirk leads the goalie crew with a .919 save percentage and 1.83 goals against average in 10 games played. Thiele ranks fifth nationally and first in the WCHA in terms of win ratio (0.885), followed by Kirk in sixth nationally (0.850).
- The Buckeyes are in the top 5 nationally in several categories this season. Ohio State is first in power play (.329) and second in goals (116), attacks made (4.46), power play goals (25), and faceoff win percentage (0.576). The team is third in assists (186), team points (302), and winning percentage (.885), and fourth in goal margin (2.73). Ohio state ranks fifth with seven annual shutouts.
- Ohio State has won its last eight games and is undefeated in 16 of its last 17 games.
- For the ninth straight week, Ohio State has been ranked #1 in both USCHO.com and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls.
- The Buckeyes are second in the WCHA standings with 51 points, two points behind first-place Minnesota.
Series History – Buckeyes vs. Mavericks
- The Buckeyes and the Mavericks meet for the second time this season after opening the 2022-23 season in Mankato, Minnesota. Ohio State defeated Minnesota State 2-1 and 5-4 victories in the season-opening series.
- Gabby Rosenthal and Jenn Gardiner recorded multi-point performances in every game and Amanda Thiele made a combined 32 saves to help the Buckeyes start the year 2-0-0.
- The Buckeyes are playing 78-14-10 against the Mavericks. On the OSU Ice Rink, Ohio State is undefeated in their last 26 games and is 17-0-1 at home to the Mavericks during Coach Muzerall’s tenure.
Ohio State wraps up the regular-season series against Minnesota with two games in Minneapolis on February 3-4. The puck drop between the top two teams in the league is scheduled for Friday at 7:00 p.m. ET and Saturday at 3:00 p.m.