TUSCON, Ariz. (AP) – For the 96th time, it’s the battle for territory. The Sun Devils and Wildcats compete in college football.
- GAME: Arizona State (3-8, 2-6 Pac-12) at Arizona (4-7, 2-6 Pac-12), Friday 1 p.m. MST
- TV: FS1, RADIO: Wildcats Radio 1290
- LINE: Arizona by 3 1/2 (Fanduel Sportsbook)
- SERIES: Arizona leads 49-45-1.
WHAT’S AT Stake?
This year’s Territorial Cup is simply for pride after both teams battled through their seasons. Arizona State interim coach Shaun Aguano is attempting to earn his third win since Herm Edwards was fired in September. The Sun Devils had some good moments, knocking off nationally ranked Washington. Arizona looks to end a five-game losing streak for the Territorial Cup. Second-year coach Jedd Fisch has led the team to a modest improvement in his sophomore season with transfer quarterback Jayden de Laura at center. The Wildcats upset the nation’s top UCLA two weeks ago.
Arizona Receivers vs. Arizona State Pass Defense: The Wildcats have two 1,000-yard receivers in Jacob Cowing and Dorian Singer. Tetairoa McMillan was also productive with more than 700 yards reception. The Sun Devils have had solid passing defenses this season and ranked fifth in passing yards allowed in the Pac-12.
PLAYER TO SEE
Arizona St: RB Xazavian Valladay ranks second in rushing in the Pac-12, averaging nearly 100 yards per game. He has rushed for at least 100 yards four times in conference games, including in the team’s last two games against Washington State and Oregon State.
Arizona: DeLaura. Arizona’s success depends largely on its quarterback, who is averaging 342 yards through the air in eight conference games. He’s coming off one of his worst games of the season after throwing four interceptions in last week’s loss to Washington State.
- The Sun Devils have won five straight games in the series, reducing Arizona’s overall advantage in the series.
- De Laura already ranks fifth in Arizona school history for the season with 3,485. At 25, he’s also sixth in touchdown passes.
- McMillan broke Arizona’s freshman record for yards in a season last week and now has 702. Arizona State’s Aguano has a 2-6 record since taking over for the fired Herm Edwards in September.
- Kyle Soelle, fifth-year senior linebacker, leads the Sun Devils with 105 tackles in 10 games this season. He also has three tackles for a loss and two interceptions.
More AP College Football: https://apnews.com/hub/college-football and https://twitter.com/AP_Top25.
Sign up for the AP’s college football newsletter: https://bit.ly/3pqZVaF
Copyright 2022 News 4 Tucson. All rights reserved.